Monday, November 28, 2011

60 Years

My mother in law Donna is turning 60 so we celebrated her birthday. Grace got her some paperdolls that they could play together. And we got her this car that she has been wanting for so long. It reminds her of driving her mother around. I thought it was very special.
I also wrote her this poem:

To Donna
the cornerstone of the family,
By the end of these words maybe you’ll see.
The value she brings to each of our hearts,
And what’s mentioned here is only a start.

I know your turning 60 but it’s hard to see,
Because you look great and high-kick better than me.
Your company is fun and you make us all laugh,
Especially at dinners with your glass and a half.

She pays twice as much for all that she buys,
And it’s really quite a lot, she likes the finer things in life.
She brings presents and joy whenever she visits,
But you’d never know it, Papa gets credit.

She’s still working hard, but retirements near,
Oh who am I kidding, we hear that every year.
She is ever committed even when times are rough,
Just ask “Vegas Bob” and you’ll know she is tough.

She always has a lot of help through words when cooking dinner,
To pay you for the “help” you get is a ticket I’m sure is a winner.
And we’ll be here when she does, just waiting for our pay,
Oh nevermind, we’ll never win, it’s not the Boxall way.

She likes to be healthy with good food and walking,
And she’ll beat you each time at scrabble and yahtzee.
She’s really quite amazing I’m lucky you see,
The son she raised into a man, Chose me.

And he’s quite amazing as a husband and a dad,
And it says a lot about the mother that he had.
She puts others first, her entire family.
From her husband, her mom, her sons and even me.

She’s the first one to call when times are tough,
She listens, she cares and she tells you, “you’re loved”.
From Sun Valley, to shopping, to walks around the block,
She makes everything special and I appreciate it a lot.

She’s a great Grandma to Grace, and she loves her so,
When Grandma reads a book to her, on her face it shows.
She’s always on the floor with her playing games and toys,
And is equally amazing to both the little boys.

Thanks will never be enough to show what she means,
Forever in her debt we will be, it seems.
And so this poem comes to an end,
For my Mother in Law, who is also my friend.

No comments: