Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Shoes and "Bee Bee's"

Grace LOVES theses shoes. She tries to get me to let her wear them everynight. She brings them to me and stomps her foot, points, and tells me socks. Silly lady!
On another note. We visited with our surgeon today on a follow up visit. He says Grace is looking great! Which she does. You would never know she even had surgery. I am just amazed at how amazing Dr. Morales is and what a great person he is as well. We had a long discussion about the "bee bee" (binky). Grace is becomming quite attached so I know it will be difficult to get her to stop. I have been very selfish in this however. I pushed the binkie on her because her surgeon said that it would help with the scar tissue. So I encouraged her to enjoy it. I can't tell you how many times I have been put down by others telling me that I was a bad parent, and having them walk up and pull it out of her mouth. I have tried very hard to be kind and polite to these people because obviously they don't understand. They are people I see commonly but not people that I care to talk to or associate with so what they think really doesn't matter. Because of this I have wanted to take her binkie away (this and watching other (much) older children with their binkie that I think probably shouldn't have it as it is most likely affecting their teeth). So I wanted to take it away, so it wouldn't be harder for me later (and for her) and I wouldn't have to deal with people's comments anymore. Instead however, I let her keep it dealing with the rude people, and knowing it would be difficult later. I have finally been given the green light to let the binkie go. It makes me sad knowing just how much the binkie has helped her and soothed her during this last difficult year, and I just think she is so cute with it in her mouth. Plus maybe it helps in my mind to feel she is still my teeny tiny lady. But now, we start the weaning process, and in time we will be "bee bee" free. I know I will look back on this one day and think "oh that binkie, what a small thing to worry about it, it was no big deal" even though right now it is pretty big to me.

2 comments:

Phil and Tessa said...

People took it out of her mouth?! Wow. That's crazy. I tried so hard to get Livi to use a binki when she was little, because I thought maybe it would help her self soothe a little more, but she wanted nothing to do with it. Then the other day I was going through all the baby stuff and we found all the old binkies, and NOW she is always asking for one. She doesn't suck on them, she just likes to chew on them. You're doing a great job, just keep on ignoring all those people!

Trina said...

I did the exact same thing, MeriAnn and Tessa! I really encouraged Jaiden to like a "foof" (aka. binky) and she eventually took onto it.
I took the foof away last week - and, like Mother - of - the - year, realized (after the week was over) that she had gotten two new teeth during the week. Not to mention she also got shots that week too. I felt so bad, but we no longer have a foof, and its been a good thing for Jaiden. She's already started talking more! :)
Good Luck!