Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Inspiration!

So I have to tell you about this man in my neighborhood. His name is Phil Collings and he was 85 last year at the 4th of July 5k run in his name. Everyday in the warmer time of year, he is out running for hours on end. He wears these multi colored biker shorts, with a teal pair of short running shorts on top, and a t-shirt. He is so nice and smiles and waves at everyone he passes. When I use the term running, I mean to say that he is running as fast as he can go, but really he looks like he is barely moving. I am so inspired by him though and even more so now that I am pregnant. I realize that I am now the old Bill Collings of the neighborhood. I feel like I am running, but I know that people are probably wondering what I am doing out there running at .0002 miles per hour, and probably question why I don't just walk instead, and to them I say. "Pregnant woman here-Back off!" Walking just doesn't do the same. So to Phil Collings-may I join you in the many warm days to come-my inspiration!!! I will be running your 5k again this year, and at your pace. Anyone who wishes to join, the Magna 4th of July celebration is fantastic, and reminds me of the close knit Wayne County Fair Days. Join me in support of my inspiration Bill Collings!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!!

3 comments:

Katie said...

At least you have an excuse for running a little slower.I'm not 85 and not pregnant. And I can barely run!
Love ya

ToRi and cReW said...

I am not a runner and have never been a runner, but lately thoughts of running have entered my mind. I don't know why, but I kinda want to do it --and I know that your inspiration older guy could probably kick my butt!

MeriAnn said...

Tori-you should totally join me for a 5k this summer. It would be a fun start. I have a few on my list including the race for the cure (May 9), which is my favorite. I am trying to get Tacey to do it too. It would be a fun group! (and you and I can go 85 year old pace, and it would be awesome!)