Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why do people think this is okay?

I don't understand sometimes what people are thinking. Last week I was out shopping and during my time five people came up to me (total strangers) and made comments along these lines: "Any day now huh", or "Just waiting on the baby now, I bet you are really excited", "Are you expecting your baby this week?" or talking behind my back saying "Now that's a baby." I wonder how they would have responded if I would have replied with, "no actually I still have two months left", rather than just trying to be polite and say "yes, I am very excited." I thought maybe it was the shirt that I was wearing (that once had pleats in the front, but no longer), but then again this morning in an entirely different shirt (black in fact, which should be slimming) some of the ladies here at the school were talking about how big my belly was and just how tight it looked. Then the one lady said, "and she has two months left, can you believe it?" Then asked me if my doctor thought I was going to come early. I just smiled and said I didn't know. The next secretary then informed me that her daughter in law was pregnant and due the first of August and yes my belly was much bigger than hers (at least she made me feel a little better by telling me her Daughters was getting wider not necessarily out). I just can't figure it out. Why do people think this is okay. Don't they realize that they could maybe ask "when are you due?" and then tell me how great I look (even if I don't). What is wrong with people! Yes I have a big belly, yes I am pregnant, yes it is very tight, but my baby is healthy and right on her growing expectations and so am I.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Pay no mind to those comments; people always feel it necessary to create some kind of conversation and it usually just ends up making them look foolish. You DO look fabulous, and you SHOULD have a baby bump; after all, there's a baby inside! And you are such a tiny little thing anyway...but I do agree with you: people in general need to take a course in manners (including me, sometimes, I am sure!)

Phil and Tessa said...

I know how you feel. People would always ask me when my baby was due and when I would tell them they would say something along the lines of, "oh! are you gaining enough weight? Is your baby really small?" Stupid things like that. It made me really self conscious and worry that my baby wasn't growing properly, then every month my dr would reassure me that she was right on track. Every body carries babies differently and I think sometimes people forget that. I think you look fabulous. Truly.

Unknown said...

I hear ya sister! I am getting that constantly from people who KNOW me. And the thing I realized is that they had all been pregnant at one time in their lives. Yet here they are telling me that I am huge and that they can't believe that I have that far to go.
Did they like it when people made comments about their prego bellies two hundred years ago?

Why can't they just be excited that we are pregnant and can't move and its not them!!

ToRi and cReW said...

I kknow how ya feel girl! I hated that sooo bad! Do they try to rub your belly? That irked me to no end.
I also hated that EVERY conversation that happened was always directed around babies, labor, birth, etc. I would tell my sister in laws, that I am still here and I still have a life even though I am pregnant-- not everything has to be about babies!

You do look healthy and great!!

Lonni said...

I got comments all the time like that they always started when I was about five months along their like wow when are you due, are you having twins and so on. By the time I was pregnant with peyton I started to like those comments because I thought thats good that you think that I'm big because I'm all baby and he is healthy. So I say way to go you have a healthy baby. By the way I don't think you look big I think you look healthy and radiant and glowing and beautiful!!!